1. The Ink Dark Moon, Jane Hirshfield with M. Aratani.
2. Lust for Enlightenment, John Stevens. (This is derived from the work of John Stevens, to whom this article is indebted. I will cite his work for reference. For those interested in primary sources, please see his footnotes and comprehensive bibliography.)
8. Forest Recollections, Kamala Tiyavanich.
9. Lust for Enlightenment.
11. Wild Ways: Zen Poems of Ikkyu.
14. Lust for Enlightenment.
15. Zen Flesh, Zen Bones, Paul Reps.
16. The Ink Dark Moon.
17. Lust for Enlightenment.
19. Crooked Cucumber, David Chadwick.
20. After the Ecstasy, the Laundry, Jack Kornfield.
21. Private conversation with Jack Kornfield.
22. From Newsweek’s “Lama to the Globe” (August 16, 1999): “Although he has affirmed the dignity and rights of gays and lesbians, he has condemned homosexual acts as contrary to Buddhist ethics.”